Saturday, November 27, 2010

DIY Draft Dodger

Well, the weather is quite cold in Pennsylvania today and I should have crafted these handy helpers two winters ago! This afternoon I sewed some draft dodgers for my window sills. I used some 1950s fabric that I had been saving for something, I just didn't know what.

Prep: Measure your window sill and cut your fabric to the desired length, leaving about an extra inch, and press. [Mine were varying lengths by 5 1/4" wide]

Step 1: Attach a safety pin to a long piece of ribbon. [this makes turning the fabric inside out much easier] and fold the fabric, in half, good sides in.

Step 2: Sew along one short end of your fabric and all the way down the long end, leaving the other small end open [be sure to remember to back stitch] and turn inside out. I used a yard stick to help push out the fabric in the corners.

Step 3: Fill the fabric tube with rice until just about full, tapping down every so often, in order to distribute the rice compactly.

Step 4: Sew the tube closed [making sure to back stitch] and place on your window sill and the drafts will be stopped!
I can not wait until these are sitting on freshly painted white window sills and not the nasty one they are on now.

This project reminded me of Anna of Door Sixteen and her draft python, read about it [here]

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the directions on how to make the draft dodger. My windows need these! I'm going to try and make one, like the ribbon and safety pin tip.

    ReplyDelete