Monday, April 23, 2012

Spicy Black-Bean Soup

A visit to my local library had me pick up a copy of Everyday Food -Fresh Flavor Fast. I have long been a subscriber [since its first issue!] of Everyday Food. I like the simplicity of their recipes and that the ingredients are usually pretty easy to locate in any local grocery store.


The last two weeks I have made this Spicy Black Bean Soup. Now, while I love spicy food, I have kept this soup more tame by removing the ribs and most of the seeds from the jalapeno pepper. I also omit the cooked ham that the recipe calls for and add a small scoop of brown rice and a handful of diced green pepper instead. [healthier and more filling!] If I am feeling especially like I want some fat, I will add some crumbled bacon.

Spicy Black Bean Soup [adapted from Every Day Food- Fresh Food Fast]

1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped finely
1 jalapeno chili pepper, finely chopped [ribs and seeds removed for desired heat]
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
3 cans of organic black beans, [15.5 oz each] drained and rinsed
4 cups of water, plus more if needed
1 1/2 c cooked brown rice
a handful of chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
1 cup of finely chopped green pepperm for garnish
a sprinkle of queso fresco
a dash of your favorite hot suace

1. In a large dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Cook until soften 3-4 minutes. Next, add jalapeno, cumin, italian seasonin, and garlic, cook and stir for another 3-4 minutes. [cook brown rice according to package instructions while the soup cooks]

2. Add black beans and water and simmer for 10-12 minutes.

3. Working in two batches, transfer the soup to a heat resistant blender [leaing the middle plastic cap off] and cover with a clean dish towel] Blend until the soup misture is liquified. Pour this in to a large serving size bowl, repate with remaining mixture.

4. To serve, ladel the soup in to a bowl, add a scoop of brown rice, and garnish with cilantro, green pepper, and queso fresco with a dash of hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment